Live music... Teas, coffees, snakes and cakes to your hearts content

Coffee Pot Pictures, Images and Photos

Views: 385

Replies to This Discussion

New thread in reply to Les 9 hours ago.

That must have been so tragic for you all, to go out to work and not come back is a hard way to loose someone.

I used to get hit a lot when I was young, but by my Mum, she preferred the wooden spoon to her hand. I never cried though. My Dad only used physical force once on me when he kicked me from the kitchen to my bedroom, which was basically across the hall has we lived in a flat. He felt bad for ever punishing me that way, but my mother loved to hit me. She was never hit as a child, but one of her sisters was. I really was a good kid, really I was, that's what all my Aunts told me, she had no reason to treat me that way. What I hated the most was being shouted at, and boy did she shout at me. Because of my dyslexia, though it was not recognised at the time, I was just stupid, she though if she shouted at me I would learn how to spell. I have very strong memories of the word "Soldier" being bellowed across the kitchen table and seeing the frustration on my Mothers face that I could not "get it". I have never hit my kids, the people that do are lacking something in my view and need help.

It's wonderful that you adore your kids so much and plain to see too. Dads should have a special bond with their daughters, I am sure that is what helps them to find the right person for a mate.

When growing up you need to have a wild time, it's part of the process. Ross left school at 16 and went straight to work, I think that was a big mistake, he never had the crazy times all his mates had because he was working so many hours, not through choice but because his employer held a gun to his head, tow the line or you are out sort of gun. He did that for 10 years, not anymore, I am pleased to say. It took the company's demise for him to get out of the cycle of work work and more work. There is an old horsey saying "you should never work a colt like a stallion" I forget the next bit, and Ross the colt got more than his fair share of work. He would not listen to his Mum, I told him to leave so many times, Mums are usually right, the ones that care that is, and they sometimes like to say "told you so" :D

I watched "Wuthering Heights" last night, what a sad story. To me it's all about a rotten apple, Kathy's brother was the cause of it all, rotten apples are responsible for so much, their hatred spreads and poisons the lives of all that surround them to some degree or other. The story I watched may not be that close to the actual book, so my take could well be different if I had read the book, and that's not going to happen!

Sophie loves Buddy Holly, we are lucky we can play music or do whatever we choose and it will not disturb anyone, and that's a good thing not because of the music but because George Ross's dog is so so loud, he will bark and make his screeching noises over almost anything, but particularly when he goes for a walk. George's father apparently does the same thing.
You had a tough time Sue. I hope you feel that you've overcome that early experience, it's so easy to carry a lot of 'baggage' through life. Clearly your ways with your own children reflect the lessons you learned and the experiences you have been determined not to perpetuate. To me you seem like a great Mum!

I had it hard in a different way in that I was sent away to school because my mother couldn't cope, having lost her husband and suddenly having to support her family single-handed. There wasn't the help then that people have now. I hated most of my childhood and it took quite a long time to overcome that.

You're right about fathers and daughters. I love both my kids of course but there is something special with my daughter. You mention their choice of partners. To our surprise my daughter has chosen a female partner. She is a nice woman and we get on really well. They are totally committed to one another and that's fine with me. I have found it harder to live with our son's choice. His wife is very difficult to like I'm afraid. She is moody and volatile and shouts a lot, both at our son and the children. He has a hard life and I am quite surprised in one way that he has put up with it for as long as this. He is very laid back and tolerant and devoted to his children. Which is just as well since he has to do most things for them once he gets home from a day's work.

It's perhaps just as well that we can't live our kids' lives for them!
As long as our kids are happy we are happy, whatever their choices are.

It's so sad about your son, but perhaps it's because he is so laid back that he copes with it all. I have found that it's often the nice guys get the more difficult women and the nice women get the troublesome guys.

I don't have any baggage at all from my childhood, it simply made me who I am today. My pony was my life and he gave me so much, all the love that I needed, so that I did not care how horrid my mother was to me. His name was Timbo.

There are many that still think it's ok to hit their kids though, and that disturbs me. I don't think we should hit animals either.
Thanks for sharing Sue. It's good to get to know one another a little better.
It's nice.

I had a busy day yesterday sorting out loads of paper work, it was like an office in our lounge. All done now, well most of it is!
Well done! I keep meaning to tackle the study and then somehow it doesn't happen. One day...
:o)
I was pretty pleased with myself for doing it, though it not the last of it I'm sorry to say... just caught up with what I had been putting off for months.

We still don't have any heating. I phoned friend this morning and his daughter told me that he has gone to somewhere in South American region for 2 weeks holiday. He tried to get hold of me yesterday but we missed each other. So we will have to brace ourselves for more than a few chilly mornings. We are lighting the fire for the evenings, so it's nice and cosy.

The heating oil will last so much longer by not using it!
Positive thinking! That's the way Sue.
I do sympathise though. Lucky 'friend' sunning himself in South America while you shiver.
Here, nature is very busy filling the water-butt! (How's that for +ve thinking?)
Yes it is +

We have not had much rain, just the occasional shower, but it's really dull and a bit chilly... brrrr
Here is a true account I want to tell you.

During the Vietnam conflict a photo appeared on the front page of a British newspaper. It showed villagers fleeing their village in terror while American bombers rained down napalm on it. In the foreground a young girl, maybe 5 or 6 years old, was running naked, her face contorted with pain and terror, attempting to escape the nightmare that was being unleashed all around her.

Thirty years on in the USA, an airman, a pilot in that same conflict, was standing with the people congregated for a memorial service to the fallen. For thirty years he had born the guilt of what he had been required to do in Vietnam. Never did a day pass when he was not haunted by visions of the destruction and the slaughter of innocent people he had witnessed and been a party to.

Out from the assembly stepped a Vietnamese woman. She walked to the foot of the memorial and laid a wreath there. The airman could contain himself no longer. He pushed his way out from the crowd, went up to the woman and fell on his knees at her feet. Between his sobs he could do no more than repeat,"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!"

The woman put her arms around the airman, holding him and comforting him. "It's alright", she said, "It's alright, I forgive you."

As I read that account I was quite overwhelmed with that capacity to forgive. Indeed, as I sit here typing these words now, I cannot help the tears from forming.

All it took was for one human being to step out from the crowd in an act of true contrition and another to demonstrate the enormous generosity of forgiveness for two lives to be changed for ever. And I suspect that those two were not the only lives to be touched that day.
That is a wonderful story, both of them were victims but in a different way.

What went on in Vietnam was terrible, the chemical warfare used is still taking it's toll on the people there.
It does just a little to restore your faith in humanity doesn't it.
Sadly America still has a lot to learn on that front!

RSS

Latest Activity

Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Jul 2, 2021
Ralph Corbin updated their profile
Jun 25, 2021
Marques De Valia updated their profile
Mar 24, 2021
SSEAYP - South-East Asian Youth liked David Califa's discussion Flash Banners Here
Feb 29, 2020

© 2024   Created by David Califa. Managed by Eyal Raviv.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service