The iPeace network now works and relies on the NING platform.  Until now, basic services were free and advanced services were not. David Califa established iPeace and used to pay directly for some NING services.  We are all grateful to David for that. 

Recently, NING has decided to charge for all its services. There is more information here: http://about.ning.com/announcement

The options NING is offering are at: http://about.ning.com/announcement/plans.php.  Because iPeace has more than 150 members, the only viable options for maintaining iPeace at NING are:

1. NING PLUS which costs $19.95/month or $199.95/year, or
  2. NING PRO which costs $49.95/month or $499.95/year.

There is some related general discussion here:  http://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/ning-update-introducing-ning .

It is now up to the current active members of iPeace to determine NOW whether and how the iPeace network and its community are maintained. 

Views: 1827

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul, Agreed...on this you wrote "One thing that must become clear first is whether any future iPeace belongs to one person or to its members."
I for 1 am one of the many " People have put a lot of work in iPeace on Ning. There may be some value in rescuing that."
It took a long time for me to learn how Ning works,how to create my profile page..etc.
It is the only site I have learned how to. I also have 3 other ning sites I am member of and I WAS in process of creating 1 for to launch as A Green Network..I stopped working on it,to re think using ning platform.
The thought of loosing 2 yrs worth of content,pouring my heart & soul into this site is truly devastating,to me and many others I know who have done so as well.
So, it may be true we don't need NING platform to "start again".I am not as confident that a smooth transition could be done?!?
Yes Maria!! thank you. All you wrote here,above me..very well written! Exactly what is needed..

I am doing best I can to keep up here,as I have a bad internet connection that drops constantly,so I have lost much of what I have written,many times..due to this problem.
Please forgive any quick typing and errors as I try to comment before net drops..
Ning is also having glitches, for some days now & is preventing some & myself from connecting/commenting on ipeace too.
i added the sums for you people to understand that talk is cheap. you can come with all these beautiful ideas, but when push comes to shove and you have to put your hand in your pocket, nobody wants to know. If someone wants his name taken off of this list. just say a word.
Sue had once told me "Ask Gordie, he's very knowledgeable about computers" And I see she was right.
iPeace will NEVER ask its members to pay for their membership too. But hopefully we'll find ways to finance if and make it flourish again
I would like to see iPeace members stay togther (22,000 or so of them), rather than become fragmented on a range of other networks. To many people, iPeace is their home, it is where their friends are and is where they want to stay.

To me, its about fighting to keep iPeace going strong.
From the recent Ning announcement :

"When we launch the new pricing plans in July, we will add an automated content export option to the manage page of each Ning Network. You will have 30 days after the launch to choose one of the three new plans or export your content."

So it should be possible to move the network to another location (self-hosting for instance) without losing membership... assuming that everything can be exported...
Yes, Des so would I.. and so very many that have conveyed this to me and to many on groups,blogs,discussions. Some are not able to VOICE their feelings,thoughts,opinions HERE due to computer issiues,like gunilla. So, in much of my comments here it is not only my voice I am commenting for. I have their opinions,thoughts in my words too,since gunilla and few others can not access ipeace, or internet right now,during this discussion for their selves.
I do not know how to email ALL in my friends list. So, have not done so yet..I will add this link to send to ALL after I figure it out.
I had written a blog last night but lost it all when my power in area where I live went out. I was able to quickly send out this discussion link to few places before I lost power & my pc battery died.
Well yes, Leah, this is why I will fight for the survival of the site, and see few benefits for us to all become scattered. Its not just what I want, its for those who for one reason or another do not speak out, but want iPeace to stay. As I said before, for many, iPeace is their home. If change means that many people lose a place they feel comfortable communicating within, then to me it does not seem like a positive step.
Thank You Gordie!
I agree too in all you wrote here..I did yesterday ( well up until my area had a power outage,I was unable get back online until this morning) and I am and will continue to.. ..
"Please promote this discussion to all your friends and please list all sites started by potential refugees in case this site closes." As Paul asked in his comment and as you just reemphasized.
I am on my way now to check on all the sharing I did of this discussion yesterday and to keep on doing so..

P & L
Wang you have a good way of being precise....is there some way, do you believe, that "list all sites" could even be more specific just in case people really did want to find each other.....like after a disaster, one makes the rounds to the hospitals, police, red cross....is there just one place everyone would know to go to to find the friends that it took two years to make? This, I believe is a difficult one...because people would have preferences where they would want to go.
I am staying here at present however....not budging for the moment
Hey peaceful folks,

Counting the number of members actively taking part in this discussion, I doubt that whatever form of consensus we come to between ourselves here will be representative of the will of 21000+ members... ;o)

Perhaps a network-wide poll is in order ? It could give us a better idea of what people want, and perhaps most importantly of what they don't want. And then, hopefully, choosing a course for the future would be that much simplified...

Possible questions :

- Are you willing to pay for iPeace membership or should it remain free ?
- Are you willing to let go of the work done here if the network moves ?
- Are you willing to volunteer time to help run the network ?
- How do you feel about monetizing iPeace in order to turn it into a self-sustaining community ?

So :

1- David, is it possible to run a poll here and invite members to take it ?

2- Can we (the people discussing here) agree on the essential questions ?

Looks like I'm done for now. Have a nice day boys & girls ! ;o)

RSS

Latest Activity

Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Jul 2, 2021
Ralph Corbin updated their profile
Jun 25, 2021
Marques De Valia updated their profile
Mar 24, 2021
SSEAYP - South-East Asian Youth liked David Califa's discussion Flash Banners Here
Feb 29, 2020

© 2024   Created by David Califa. Managed by Eyal Raviv.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service