I was able to participate in a cycle rally which proved to be very different from any other cycling events I was fortunate to be part of so far. It was organised on 7 April 2008, the World health Day, here in Kozhikode (Calicut) jointly by "Prithwy"- an enviornmental collective of the students of Ramakrishna Mission Higher Secondary School and Bharathanjali Self Reliant Gandhi Village in Chellapram outside Kozhikode city. I too was there as an ardent supporter of both the organisations and a keen cycling enthusiast. The rally started at the Gandhi Park in a place called Thadampattu Thazham approximately 5 kms away from Kozhikode City Centre. It was inaugurated by the well known Gandhiyan Mr Thayattu Balan and was met by Mr M.A.Johnson, the Kozhikode district co-ordinator of the National Green Army when it finished at Mannanchira Square in the heart of Kozhikode City. During the rally partcipating children distributed leaflets warning the local people about the illnesses normally spread at the begining of the monsoon season a few months away from now. They also warned people about the importance of preventing these illnesses by taking precautions at the right time . The notice also told the readers the importance of cycling in the present climate of excessive dependence on motor vehicles as a enviornmently friendly, healthy and economically sound mode of transport. On the whole it was a marvellous attempt which the students are planning to repeat on other important days like the the World Enviornment Day and the future World Health Days to come. The most joyful thing I noticed was the enthusiasm and honesty of the participating children and their teachers. With children like this uniting I feel the future of our planet is far brighter and I wish then every success!

Views: 36

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

another cycling rally with a difference: world naked bike ride
oooooh yearh :-)))

RSS

Latest Activity

Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022
Shefqet Avdush Emini updated their profile
Jul 2, 2021
Ralph Corbin updated their profile
Jun 25, 2021
Marques De Valia updated their profile
Mar 24, 2021
SSEAYP - South-East Asian Youth liked David Califa's discussion Flash Banners Here
Feb 29, 2020

© 2024   Created by David Califa. Managed by Eyal Raviv.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service