Israel Prize laureate Ze'ev Sternhell. (Photo - Reli Avrahami)

A small pipe bomb exploded on Thursday at around 1:00 A.M. outside the entrance to Israel Prize winner Professor and frequent Haaretz contributor Ze'ev Sternhell's home. Sternhell was lightly injured by the blast and taken to Shaarei Tzedek Hospital in Jerusalem for medical treatment.

In the wake of the attack and the discovery of the fliers, police have beefed up security around the home of Peace Now secretary general Yariv Oppenheimer.

Police sources told Israel Radio on Thursday that signs increasingly point to extreme right-wing elements who may have been responsible for planting the explosive that wounded Sternhell.

Senior political figures reacted vociferously to the news of the attack on Sternhell. "We are returning to the dark spectacle of pipe bombs that are aimed at people, in this case against a very gifted person who never shies away from expressing his opinion," Defense Minister Ehud Barak said.

for full article in Haaretz newspaper

Please share your thoughts

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Professor Ze'ev Sternhell is one of the wised people I like to read, I think he bring a honest view of complexity were the causes are internal and not external; in a nut shell, the "facism" does not come from the out side, it graw in the culture

I am happy that the dammage is minor and expect to read more of him and see his influence on us, the Israelis.

For the Attack itsef I think we need to be consious that there is a lot of pressure now on the "settlers" side in the Israeli politics, the Gaza evacuation is a clear sign that Israel is capable to change its settelmets situation. This bring some of the extrimists among the Settlers to seek refuge in violent fight for their true mission for the fuuture of Israel. As the majority of the Israelis clearly object to such future this create more and more aggression, which this time was addressed to Professor Ze'ev Sternhell.

I wish that the people who use such agression for their Political goals will be stop and arressted so we will not lose people like Professor Ze'ev Sternhell or any one. This is reality knock on our Peace seeking soul, we need to work with real people and our vision of solution is some time interperated as dissaster for people with different world view.

Peace
it is freaky that such things take place nowadays. uf
Sadly it is a good sign, it mean that there is a pressure on the "settlers" to realize that there is going to be a change.
I hope we will manage to have some constrains for that In Israel.

ay said:
it is freaky that such things take place nowadays. uf
Shirley,

How do we stop reacting violently to violence?
This is a hard question and I will try to answer it,

from the natural animal origin of our humanity a basic code of human behavior exist that is attack, it can be physically or mentally but when a baby needs milk he/she done wait for his/her mother to be ready and conferable, the inner impulse is to "get it", same happened in young age when we want something and we have no obstacle to get it. this some times involved in our self image which we call ego, but also exists at some level in any human culture.

fortunately we developing culture for nearly 100,000 years and within this global culture we have few traditions that all recognize that humans seek Peace on earth and less violent because we also have the "wisdom impulse" which is in the core of what make us humans.

Through our development and cultural education we observe different and more complex ways of attacks and we develop some ability to attack with less violence, for instance, when you see a policeman in uniform approach you, you usually feel attacked although he/she did not use any force. we know the rule of the policeman and we accept his/her power position.

But through our cultural development within different traditions we learned more about our existence, we now can do more steps to transcend our impulses and create conditions for better communication and better handling of conflict where we find that all traditions suggests that the whole human entity is one, and in that sense we are all co-responsible for the other, especially the ones who are in weak position.

The ones who are in weak positions are the ones who has the most drive for terror attack, the most drive to get their voice appear as stronger where they produce events of killing that get to the news and the emotional drive of people. If we wish to reduce this events we need to make sure that we are different and we not only show our power abilities in its basic level of violence (we have more policeman and solders) but also bring in our capacity to make the conditions of the weak better even if some of them are supporting Terror. the only cultural proposal that we can bring is "we recognize your conditions, lets work together to make our future work"

so it will not be magic nor force that will disarm terrorism for any kind, it is our communal responsibility to the condition of the whole include every one who can do the trick, and this day approaching as we see how many of us care for Tibet,Palestine, Darfur and many other places where human communities are in crisis.

Happy new Jewish year

Neri

bluesy2008 said:
I realize that you know much more than I do on the issues in Israel. There is a great group of folks at my alma mater, University of South Florida that give a great deal of understanding and our patient with those of us, like me, that just don't know. By these discussions, we learn...that is why I'm here. To learn and to share.

My question is...more than a reply: What about the "tribal" folks / innocent people - no matter what religion, creed or homeland - what use of terrorism can we stop that confuse the non-peaceful threats and immediate responses - the way things are presented are so very important and as people - we get confused. Demystify a few things, if you will.

The day of the attack, the use of threats and the breach of peaceful measures - possibly due to the extreme nature of the attack (which, is an everyday occurrence somewhere in our world, unfortunately in some form or another) - but, to focus on this news...The common ground seems to be "the dark spectacle" - the use, the scare tactic and the response are so very important right now.

Is this what you see. How do we stop reacting violently to violence?

Your friend in peace,

Shirley

Neri Bar-On said:
Professor Ze'ev Sternhell is one of the wised people I like to read, I think he bring a honest view of complexity were the causes are internal and not external; in a nut shell, the "facism" does not come from the out side, it graw in the culture

I am happy that the dammage is minor and expect to read more of him and see his influence on us, the Israelis.

For the Attack itsef I think we need to be consious that there is a lot of pressure now on the "settlers" side in the Israeli politics, the Gaza evacuation is a clear sign that Israel is capable to change its settelmets situation. This bring some of the extrimists among the Settlers to seek refuge in violent fight for their true mission for the fuuture of Israel. As the majority of the Israelis clearly object to such future this create more and more aggression, which this time was addressed to Professor Ze'ev Sternhell.

I wish that the people who use such agression for their Political goals will be stop and arressted so we will not lose people like Professor Ze'ev Sternhell or any one. This is reality knock on our Peace seeking soul, we need to work with real people and our vision of solution is some time interperated as dissaster for people with different world view.

Peace
Ze'ev was one of my Political Science teachers at Hebrew University, Jerusalem in early 60's, when I was a gangly 18 year old naif. I abhor the simplistic sense that right wing settler Israelis have, that any Jewish Israeli who stands for peace, is letting the 'Am Israel' side down. This is a 'mirror image' of a radical right Muslim Fatwa against anyone who bucks their narrow view of what is tolerable to the Umma (Am).(viz Ayatollah Homeini's fatwa against Salman Rushdie).

Its the same mentality as that of the killer of PM Rabin....who was perceived as making peace at Camp David with Arafat (the perceived enemy.) i.e. Rabin wasn't totally fulfilling his national mission, of one-sidedly backing his 'nation' ('um yisrael')....and therefore had forfeited his Jewish right to life, and was fair game. A shocking and dangerous philosophy on both sides of the radical right wing split, and toxic for any hope of peace.

I fear for Tzipi Livni, because she understands from endless negotiations with Fatah's Qureia, that any peace deal is a non-starter without some level of sharing Jerusalem with a Palestinian state. The Shas party left the Kadimah coalition, because she refused to take a shared Jerusalem off the table, (and refused to be strongarmed into further funding their religious schools). In the eyes of the Israeli right wing, this is both treachery and heresy, and is ultimately punishable by death! That is not to mention that she is also ONLY a woman! Don't underestimate Israeli machismo!

I fear this strident, obsessed, motivated right wing religious settler movement, as well as its Palestinian (Hizbullah and Iranian) counterparts. It has its roots in racist Kahanism, and believes that there is no place for ANY Palestinians at all on the West Bank. Ultimately it is all about ethnic cleansing, and ultimately it is genocidal thinking, holocaust thinking.

And so many think we are about to witness the return of Netanyahu to the Israeli helm, which means all the efforts by the admittedly flawed Kadimah Olmert/Livni administration to explore Syrian and Fatah peace possibilities, will again be doomed for the next 4-8 years!

Why don't Israelis understand that actually time is NOT on their side.

RSS

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022