A100 Pictures, Images and Photos

I have started this mainly for Les as he is the photographer amongst us, and this will be a place were we can all visit to see what he has snapped, rather than have then scattered about the group. My postings will mainly be what I have found on the web, I will mark the ones that were taken by either my son or daughter :) If you want to just post a photo, as many as you like, with no explanation that's fine, but if you want to let us know a little more about the image that would be great.

Views: 1398

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sticking with the magic theory. He was looking in the window at me today, and Sophie jumped on his back, he was so proud and kept on looking in at me until I told him he was a good boy, he is so funny!

Girls and their horse, we are mad about them.

Mmm... tread softly, I know that one! We won't hold you to it Sue, just look forward in hope! As to more snaps - be careful what you ask - you may get it! Here's one more just to whet the appetite.

That is a wonderful boat.

I am a bit afraid of sea travel, I would not want to go on a cruise, I have been to France on the ferry years and years ago and the Captain said it was the worst crossing he had ever had, so maybe that has something to do with it, and the fact that I can't swim might be another factor. I got nervous on the boat to the Isle of Wight not so many years ago, only about 17, quite recently for me ;0)

It was a lovely boat, we thoroughly enjoyed it. We would just potter around the islands until evening then find a good spot to throw out the hook and swing to the anchor all night. It was very peaceful. My brother-in-law did his service in the US Coastguard and until fairly recently had a very nice boat of his own so we were a pretty competant crew altogether.

Here's our other means of transport during the trip. Maybe you'd prefer this!

RVand towcar

That is one beast! The biggest I've driven is my horsebox a 5 tonner
It's a pussey-cat to drive! OK, with the tow-car we were 50ft long but it rolls along very nicely. My brother-in-law likes nothing better than to hand me the keys and go and sit with his feet up in the back somewhere! I learned to drive larger vehicles with London Transport in the thick of the traffic so not much fazes me in that line - in fact I enjoy it very much.
50 ft....... wow!!!!!!!!

My dad used to work for London Transport too, for 30 years or more. He used to drive the green buses from the depot that was in our village, his clippy was called Emi, she was a delight. He also drove the one-man coaches, eventually he got transfered to Croydon to drive the red buses, when they built a massive Sainsbury's on the site of the depot. He did not like working from Croydon very much as the people were so aggressive and were somewhat lacking in manners on many occasions.

He used to do the run from your village to Aylesbury (have I spelt that right?) and back on the single deckers. Sometimes I would catch that bus back from London when I was working there in the very early 70's, I got on at Marble Arch, but he was never the driver when I did catch it, but I knew all the drivers on that route anyway so it was like being picked up by a friend.

Sometimes I would be sent home in a taxi, that was a real treat. It was after we had been working late, but I think the main reason was probably because they did not want me to be out so late at night on my own, as I was only 17 at the time. That was back in the days when your employer cared for you. I worked for the BBC.

I let my dad drive my horse box once, and only once, he was terrible, thank goodness there were no horses in the back, they would have been thrown all over the place. I thought he would have been good as he was such a steady driver, but behind the wheel of the horse box he turned into Lewis Hamilton! My horse boxes name is Bessy, she has been round the clock a few times, not by me, it was her previous owners that were big in showing ponies and she went all over the country.

When I used to take Bessy on the motorways all the lorry drivers were so respectful and it was lovely, she is very old and I guess they remember driving the old lorries and how hard they are, now power steering or a/c, but a delight to drive never the less. I loved my trips out in her, no seat belts, just a large area for us all to sit in on benches or the floor, not very health and safety but I think that has gone way out of control nowadays anyway.
Hi Sue! Interesting to read about your dad. I also drove the green buses in the Surrey area, mostly around Dorking, Leatherhead and the villages around there. Later I went on the Green Line coaches and did the run between Dorking and Luton or St Albans. I didn't work for them for as long as your dad but I did enjoy it while I was there.

I love the sound of your horsebox, she sounds like a grand old lady indeed! I tend to agree with you that safety, necessary though it may be in principle, has gone out of all proportion. All the complicated kit you have to have to carry a child in the car now! I'm quite convinced that we're all fussed over and controlled far too much nowadays. Don't get me started!
I used to have a Renault 5 when Ross was a baby and I would travel him about in the boot in his carry cot, with the dog next to me on the front seat. When I think of it I cringe, because if someone had booted me up the backside he would have been the first to get hit. Still I did not think about having accidents, so I guess that's why I did not have any.

When I was little and my parents could not get anyone to look after me I used to go to work with my dad when he was driving the Green Line coaches. I remember very well traveling the route from Warlingham to Oxted and back again, I loved it, I don't know how he smuggled me on the bus though!

Bessy is a lovely old lady, and has always got me where I wanted to go. Though she did let me down once when she refused to start after I had filled up with petrol, the man behind the counter told me to push her........... all 5 tons of her!!!! I was already in a bit of a fluster because she would not start and to have an idiotic suggestion like that put before me tipped me over the edge, though I did not blow a fuse, if I recall correctly I just looked at him in amazement and called a friend for help.

When my kids were young there were some mothers who would not let their kids do anything unless they were cotton wool wrapped first, so it's not that new, it's just that the government now are involved in every aspect of it.

I worked on the principal that if I felt that it was ok to do when I was a kid then I would let my two do it, they had a few bumps and a lot of bruises but they enjoyed themselves getting them.

I used to travel the A25 a bit when I took Sophie to Guildford every Friday to the Spectrum Centre, the local home educated kids used to meet their on a Friday afternoon and ice skate. It is so pretty in the part of Surrey.
Where is that question, now?
Very good question about Water Lily and Lotus...
I looked it up: the look alike, but they are genetically different, a Lotus can have a long stem, so they come up above water. another thing was that the seed bit looks very different, let's see if I can get two pics!

(hang on..)

Water Lily

Lotus in Bali.

now I remember, too, the Lotus, bottoms you eat, they are round and with holes...shows on the picture!
Thanks for finding that out, when you see the flowers together there is a big difference. I did not know that you could eat part of the lotus, water lilies are probably poisonous.

RSS

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022