Please leave as much here as you can. The more I see and read, teaches.

The histury of London is not only a hobby, but also, a Love or, maybe a little nearer to Reality would be for me to say, a Passion.......

..........So, post as much as Time allows....The more obscure, the more cherished...............

Onwards and Upwards.......................

Views: 533

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know those, are they novels or graphics ?

I was right about my description, trippy weird, though, huh?.............I do enjoy graphic novels a great deal, yet wouldn't go near them them a vaulting pole as a child. All my comics were, less cartoon and more text. Odd, huh ?
Cannon Street, City of London, witha very nice pub next where this clip is filmed !!!!! The opposite side of the street is Cannon Street station......
http://www.standingwithstones.com/Lan... Standing with Stones is a remarkable and unprecedented documentary film that takes the viewer beyond Stonehenge on an incredible journey of discovery that reveals the true wealth and extent of Neolithic and Bronze Age Britain & Ireland.

If you ever wondered what it would be like to travel the length and breadth of the British Isles, visiting the most intriguing and enigmatic monuments that our ancestors left us, from Cornwall through England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland to the outer reaches of the Hebrides and Orkney, then you will love this film.

Described by one magazine reviewer as "A stunning study of standing stones. A work of art." (Forten Times), this is no amateur travelogue. Written and presented by writer and explorer Rupert Soskin and shot and edited by broadcast producer Michael Bott, this film is a stunningly beautiful and absorbing two and a quarter hour tour of our ancient heritage in the company of an engaging and knowledgable host - the journey of a lifetime.
The No.28 bus as it passes through the capital's financial heart - the City of London.
If you fancy following the journey on a map: We start at Cannon Street at the junction with Bread Street, and head east towards Queen Victoria Street. Passing Bank underground station with the Bank of England building on the left, we head on to Threadneedle Street. The bus continues along Threadneedle Street to Bishopsgate (and the corner of Liverpool Street station) before finishing at the east end of the City at Shoreditch High Street. What is particularly interesting about this 10 minute journey is the sheer amount of building work going - particularly at the eastern end of the City. New shiny towers are being built where old building once stood. There may be a 'credit crunch' but the amount of financial trade that continues to head London's way is not denting the desire of banks and financial institutions to build here. The City's Griffin (a boundary marker at every main road entrance to the City) is all but lost amongst the builder's fencing as we leave.
I took commerce O level, and passed....... bulls and bears and all that, can't remember most of it nowadays!!

A lovely video of all the old buildings in the City.

My son has just been asked to a wedding being held in London, the reception will be at the Gherkin... Jan 2010, morning suits and all that stuff.

Great clip of what London is like, not that I know really, have not been there for yonks.
Are you coming up as well ?
No........they did not invite us because they know we would not go........ You could meet Ross if you like!

Are you near the Gherkin?
An alternative sightseeing trip round London, taking a look at some of it's quirkier sights. From the Mandella Tank to the Traffic Lights Tree.
.................Directed. Camden Castles Camera Operator: Barry Parker. Shunt work: White cranes installation- Serena Bobowski, Perceptive Error (backlight images on the wall) - Katriona Chapman, Paula Coakley, Sergio Galaviz, Susan Gregory, Masha Solon, Nick Huggins, Xenia Capacete, Simon Solon, Cassie Solon, Lawrie Solon, Christina Petrie,Susannah Cruton, Francis Campbell, Bandsalat (Video tower) - Susanne Dietz and The Hair Salon - Eleanor Barrett, Gemma Brockis and Serena Bobowski.
What a great video.

The pet grave yard is very special, as are all the places it points out.

Clever OXO..... planning authorities are the same everywhere!!!!!!

4 different pubs! Would that be classed as racist now...... I wonder.
London to Brighton train journey......

LONDON'S DIVERSE CULTURES................................

Diwali on the Square 2009
Sunday, 4th October,
2 pm till 7 pm
Trafalgar Square, London.
FREE
Programme
2.00-3.15pm Celebrations begin with traditional circular Garba dancing in the centre of Trafalgar Square with live entertainment from one of the most dynamic and exciting Asian bands in the U.K, Shama and Friends.
3.45-4.15pm Opening ceremony with special Diwali messages.
4.15-5.45pm Experience a spectacular stage show with some of London’s best talent. From Devdas to Latin and contemporary Bollywood hits, mind blowing Dhol beats and classical, urban and street dance.

Live performances from: Beeja Dance Company, Flex FX Productions, Rhythm ‘n’ Bass Dhol Players, Screendolz, Shamaa Dance Company, Shri Academy of Dance, Sujata Banerjee Kathak Group, Tony Wong and Tridhara. Introduced by presenters from BBC Asian Network, the offical radio partner of Diwali on the Square.
5.45-6.30pm Special guest artists from Star, the official media partner of Diwali on the Square.
6.30-7.00pm Kirtan and Bhajan Aarti provided by the International Society of Krishna Consciousness.

Hindus observe Diwali over a period of five days. The first day of Diwali, called Dhanvantari Trayodasi sees the Hindu families offering prayers to the Goddess of wealth (Lakshmi) to remember wealth is considered a benediction from God.

The second day, called Narak Chaturdasi is associated with the defeat of the demon king Narakasura by Lord Krishna, who freed 16,000 captive women. This day reminds us not to abuse our power and to channel our strength for the greater benefit of mankind.

The third day is actually Diwali. According to the Ramayana, the people of Ayodhya illuminated the kingdom with earthen lamps (diyas) to celebrate the return of their king, Lord Rama after he defeated the demon king Ravana who captured his wife Sita.

The fourth day is the Govardhana Puja (Hindu New Year), and is a time for reconciliation and forgiveness. On this day, Hindus offer thanksgiving to cows and worship Lord Krishna with offerings of food arranged in the form of Govardhana, a hill in Vrindavana.

The fifth day of Diwali is called Bhaiya Duj and is dedicated to the relationship between a brother and a sister. It is a day when every brother takes time to visit the home of his sister and her family.

The Sikh Festival of Diwali

Sikhs celebrate Diwali to express their joy at the return of the sixth Guru, Guru Har Gobind Ji to Amritsar in 1620. Emperor Jahangir had imprisoned him along with 52 Hindu kings. The Guru was granted freedom but refused to leave until the kings were also released. To commemorate his determination and undying love for Sikhism, people lit the way to the Golden Temple in his honour.

The Jain Festival of Diwali

The Jains celebrate Diwali as a festival of light, a symbolic representation of the knowledge that was given by Lord Mahavira for the peace and welfare of all living beings. It marks the anniversary of the attainment of moksha by Mahavira in 527 BCE and achievement of omniscience by his chief disciple, Gautam Indrabhuti

23815.jpg

RSS

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile