Please leave as much here as you can. The more I see and read, teaches.

The histury of London is not only a hobby, but also, a Love or, maybe a little nearer to Reality would be for me to say, a Passion.......

..........So, post as much as Time allows....The more obscure, the more cherished...............

Onwards and Upwards.......................

Views: 533

Replies to This Discussion

Something to celebrate....The strange and diverse 'things' that happen and HAVE happened in this Great Capiol City....

Sky Arts pays tribute to Pink Floyds iconic Dark Side of the Moon album cover, recreating the acclaimed artwork over Primrose Hill, London, yesterday to celebrate the screening of Pulse: Dark Side Of The Moon Live, the bands 1994 live performance of the album at Earls Court, which will be screened on Sky Arts 1 HD this Friday 23rd October and again on Monday 16th November.

Is this what you do Percy, and are you in the video? I know that you are in hospital now, but you could have built the stage before you had the arguement with the floor.
Yes. I was thinking that as I watched it.

By the way, if I can get my hands on the address; Do you want to send the floor some fowers and a good solicitor's firm so it can sue for damages ????? hahahaha
Watching it again,Sue, the thought crossed my mind that if I'd've smelled that one in the pipeline I would probably have chased after the gig...I don't really need to chase anymore (It was 40 years last month since I received my Union card and could then, 'legitimately, work in that field. I had already been doing bits here and there from a couple of years earlier, but not 'legitimately', as I said), but will if it's something I want to work on. Like this week's Smokey Robinson at the Beeb...Not no more, Babe, eh ?
You will soon be climbing the scaffolding and tightening the bolts.... keep your pecker up, as my Dad used to say to me. It must be a dream job, like playing with Meccano and getting paid for it.... except for big boys.

I was in the TGW when I worked for BA, though we often ignored the guide lines for the maximum hours we were allowed to work, many times the crews went well over that because if we had got off the plane every time that occurred most of the flights from LHR to LAX would have had to have a crew change. The passengers went through enough without another 2 or 3 hours delay waiting for a new crew if there was a technical delay or some other gremlin in the works.
No need for solicitors, they just take all your money, I'll send a few of my mates around and sweet talk the floor into see the errors of it's ways, that floor won't cause anyone anymore pain ever again!!!!!

I feel sorry for the memory of the tree, it must feel so ashamed that a part of it resorted to violence against an innocent human being :D
You are NUTS ! hahahaha.
I'd rather be NUTS than normal!!!!!!
I'm with you on that one, Sue......................xxx.
:D
BEVIS MARKS, LONDON...................................

Much of the early history of the descendents of David Ottolenghi (born 1730, Italy) is recorded at Bevis Marks Synagogue of Bishopsgate, London. Bevis Marks was founded by Sephardic Jews. The congregation is known as the Spanish and Portuguese Jews' Congregation. Among the other early members of the congregation was the grandfather of Benjamin Disraeli. Disraeli's grandfather, like David Ottolenghi, was born in Italy and emigrated to London.

(Photo: ©Anthony Harris). Thank You to Mr. Harris for granting us permission to publish this photo.

Bevis Marks Synagogue was opened in 1701, and is the oldest synagogue in use on British soil.

The contract for its construction was given to Joseph Avis in 1699. Avis, a Quaker, refused to make any personal profit from the work. The synagogue's exterior design embodies the simple, Puritan lines of non-Conformist chapels of the period. The interior reflects the influence of Sir Christopher Wren, then overseeing the re-building of the City of London churches following the Great Fire of 1666. The east end is dominated by the Echal (Ark) - the sanctuary housing the sacred hand-written scrolls of the Torah (the five books of Moses). The style here is baroque and the Corinthian columns slightly resemble the altar pieces in a number of Wren churches.

The interior of the Synagogue retains all its original furnishings. However, several Cromwellian benches are even older, coming from the place of worship established when Jews first returned to England in the 1650s. The private house where they met was soon outgrown, and Bevis Marks was built.

Twelve pillars, symbolising the tribes of Israel, support the ladies' gallery, the reading desk and Echal are flanked by 10 candlesticks representing the Ten Commandments; and the interior is dominated by seven magnificent candelabra, corresponding to the days of the week. One of the great oak beams supporting the roof is said to have been presented by Princess (later Queen) Anne.

In 1992 and 1993 the synagogue suffered great damage from terrorist bomb attacks on the City of London. Nearly £200,000, raised by donation, has since been spent in repairing and renovating the structure.

Les would like to know about this too....... very interesting.

Benjamin Disraeli was a great horseman I believe, but Sophie is the expert on that sort of information. I think he was famous for riding an Arabian horse and jumping huge fencing whilst out hunting.

Terrible that it was bombed.... was anyone hurt or killed.

A pub in a small town next to our village was bombed in the 70's by the IRA, there were people killed. It was because there was an army barracks in the town and the soldiers used to drink in the pub, but so did lots of locals too.

RSS

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022