Salt water indoor swimming pool - tell us the titles of good books that you have read, fiction, fact, enlightening, anything

Views: 145

Replies to This Discussion

Another author I like and have made a few return visits to recently is John Steinbeck. Again, it's a bit hard to pick out any one that really stands out above the rest but I've enjoyed "The Grapes of Wrath", "Tortilla Flat", "Of Mice and Men", "Cannery Row". In addition to these, which have some similarity in background, settings, character types etc., there is one quite different. It is "The Short Reign of Pippin the Fourth". I think that's one your daughter might enjoy - how old is she?
She is 20
I should think she would enjoy "Pippin" then. It's set in France and tells of a ficticious return to the monarchy. It's very funny. It's also quite short too for Steinbeck.
I will get her that one too, thanks.

I have just bought Wagner's opera "der ring des nibelungen" as I heard on a video clip on Heldblind's page that it's wonderful. There are 14 cd's, I have listened to the first and am going to try to add it as my music on my page, it will be a lot of listening for anyone who wants to hear it!

So if you are going to spend sometime on the computer one day, when I get it loaded, you will be able to hear it.
Wooo... sounds like a major undertaking.
I didn't know you were an opera buff. I'm not very knowledgeable about opera but I do enjoy some, usually the lighter pieces I have to admit. I have the impression that Wagner can be a bit heavy but I'm sure it's not that simple. You can teach me!
I have the distinct feeling that modern voice techniques are producing a generation of singers who command power whilst maintaining an impression of ease. Perhaps developing the range and then staying within it is part of the answer.
I have only just noticed this reply..... sorry Les.

I am no opera buff, I bought the cd's because I listened toa video that that they were very meaningful, I still have not listened to them, I keep intending to but 14 is a lot to get through! As for posting them here, I will need a bit of help for that, and I think I have used it up for this month posting Lili in the cinema :D
I love opera, although I have not wandered in the field for long.

my grandmother listens to a lot,
and also my father has a few operatic records...
I listened to one of the videos on Heltblinds page about alchemy and it mentioned War of the World there, so I bought the CD's. They were mega expensive on Amazon but someone was selling the exact same thing on Ebay for £5 for I bought the set, I want to listen to them and intended loading them on to ipeace, just need a little help on the computer side and a push too.

I have never listened to an opera, I've watched the odd bit on tv, and usually turned straight over when it was on, though some of the music is very good, like Paul Potts I enjoyed his singing, but I think he is looked down on by the opera elite.
A book I really enjoyed when I read it was Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)...it is incredible how he puts down personalities and all these different levels -

everything was very "clear".

Another well written novel is the remains of the dayby Kazuo Ishiguro.
I haven't seen the film, so I cannot compare the two.
I've seen the film of Anna Karenina but have not read the book. I would be surprised if the two were very close. I think a faithful production of Tolstoy in film must be quite difficult.
I'm not a reader, though I love to buy books, I guess I hope osmosis will occur regarding the information they contain!
I just finished reading "The Cellist of Sarajevo" by Stephen Galloway. Although it's fiction it really is a dramatisation of some events within the siege of Sarajevo. It's interestingly written and although, as you would expect from the subject, it isn't a happy read, neither is it unpleasant. It doesn't dwell too much on the gruesome details; rather it is a personal and social commentary. I found it compelling and hard to put down - and I'm a pacifist!

RSS

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022