This is an article I came accross on internet recently. As its very good I thought of sharing with you all. It is written by someone else (not me) and I am merely re-posting it here:

"I absolutely love commuting by bike, it's perhaps the most rewarding part of my day, and that's saying something since I really love my job. There's something really special about being out in the open air, sailing along with your blood singing, the wind in your hair, and the joy of not having to deal with traffic jams. Transport is the main reason I use my bikes, though the fun and extra fitness are pretty good reasons too.
Time savings
Bicycles are surprisingly quick - it is man's most efficient form of transport. Commuting on your bike is astoundingly practical and works so well for a number of reasons:
Bikes are the fastest mode of transport in Central London, almost always beating all other forms of transport. I once took a comparable trip from South London to North London, a distance of about 30km, whilst my friend drove this in her car. Her journey time? 2 hours and 30 minutes, whilst mine was a mere 1 hour 15 minutes. I was so smug! On my normal commute I take about the same time as I would on the train, and of course am much faster than I would be on the bus or via car. Transport for London figures show that a bike takes just 22 minutes to travel 4 miles, compared to 40 minutes by car and 30 minutes by public transport.
Not only are bikes faster, but you get three times the normal use out of bicycle commuting time. Once for the travel time itself, once for the pure enjoyment of riding, and once for all the time you don't need to spend in the gym, since you're combining your travel with an easy workout.
Fitness, Weight loss and Food
The best part about the fitness aspect is how well cycling fitness transfers across to your skating. Skating and cycling are surprisingly close, enough that cycling is included in nearly every speedskater's weekly training regime. Not only will your legs and bum get toned and firm, you'll likely loose a bunch of weight too. I particularly love the massive amounts of FOOD you get to eat without putting on weight.
Money savings
I'm saving myself over £600 per annum on train fare, and half again in gym fees, so it's well worth it to me. You could also avoid the £8 per day congestion charge, but since I mostly use public transport that doesn't apply to me. Of course the bit I haven't discussed with my wife is how much more than that I've actually spent on all kinds of shiny bike bits and toys! If you thought quality skates were expensive, think again. Skating is as cheap as chips compared with cycling when lightness and bling factor start to affect your desire for new toys. I will confess that I could have spent far less and come out well ahead if I'd been more conservative in my spending.
Travelling on the train now feels awful to me by comparison, and the cattle-car press of the underground or bus is even less attractive. I hate the experience every time I'm forced to use public transport.
Common excuses for not doing it
But isn't it too far?
Lots of people seem absolutely horrified when I mention my commute of 15 miles one way. To be honest 15 miles is nothing, anyone can do it with a little training and acclimatisation. I'm not even a serious cyclist and I don't have a problem cycling that distance, and I'm not even particularly tired as a result of cycling to/from work.
I have a friend who commutes 20 miles one way on his bike, and I often wish I had as far to go so that I'd get more mileage in. To both of us a decent long ride is perhaps 125 miles, and even that is nothing much. I know quite a few people who've ridden 375 miles or more in a weekend, though of course I accept that seems like complete nuttery, at least until you realise just how good bikes are at covering distance, and how impressive the human body really is.
Many cycle commuters combine train and bicycle by using a folding bike such as a Brompton, which makes much longer and more convoluted journeys fast and practical. Why the need for a folding bike? Because many of the train companies no longer allow full sized bicycles on during rush hour. Almost all will allow a folding bike though.
I'm not fit enough.
The answer is easy - start cycling gradually with a steady progression and you'll soon get fit enough. I started out with a serious lack of fitness, in fact I spent quite a few years in a very unhealthy and unfit state. Skating, and now cycling, helped me pull through that and get an acceptable level of fitness.
But Cycling is too dangerous!
That's a common misconception, and is actually complete rubbish. Figures show that here in the UK regular cyclists live an average of 2 years longer than the rest of the population, and have a health and fitness of someone 10 years younger than them. Another study found that the benefits far outweigh the risks, by 20:1. Cycling is a very safe activity, in fact safer per mile than walking on the pavement (see PACT statistics here). That page has the stats for the UK as a whole, including dangerous, unlit, and pavement cyclists together with sensible and other kinds of cyclists. With a little common sense, knowledge, and experience you can make yourself much safer than this average.
Most drivers are pretty decent, giving plenty of space and care to cyclists, especially in London where there is a critical mass of cyclists now. Having so many more cyclists has been great for everybody - more cyclists means motorists get better at dealing with us, and it makes cycling much safer still.

The weather!
It doesn't rain as often as you might expect! According to some stats, in a full year of commuting 5 days a week, you are likely to be soaked for only 12 trips, and on those days you can wimp out and take the bus or train. Although the idea of riding in the rain seems awful, when it actually happens you're likely to find yourself enjoying the conditions much more than you might expect. Some of my best rides have been in the rain, and your skin is waterproof after all. The trick is to make sure you're warm, and not to worry about getting wet, and that will ensure your comfort.
The cold - you'll be warmer on your bike than everybody walking or waiting at the bus stop.
Conclusion
Cycle commuting is a wonderful way to get around a big city like London. It's pleasant, healthy and fun light exercise. Take a look at the cycle commuting links below to read more.
Commuting Links
NuttyCyclist's website. Great resource, quality tips to be found here, particularly this specific commuting page.
The London Cycling Campaign - free downloadable booklets to help you get started.
Recommended book - Cyclecraft by John Franklin. This is perhaps the most recommended book on cycling, both for newcomers and experienced cyclists.
It's also well worth joining the CTC, the Cyclists' Touring Club for the 3rd party insurance."

Hope you all enjoy it and it proves to be useful. Take care and carry on cycling!
Cheers,
Kris Kandath

Views: 5

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
yesterday
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022