Why Can't We Expand International Day Of Peace Into International Weekend Of Peace Or Indeed International Week Of Peace?

I would really appreciate input on this question and I would really encourage everyone to poll their elected officals on this issue.I am very big on traditions but traditions improved on are the wheels that make the world go around. Let's just consider family traditions - say for instance Thanksgiving dinner - you carry your childhood memories, you mix them with those of your spouse, and then you add your own twists to create a totally new and improved tradition to pass down through the years.We can mess with traditions and still allow them to maintain their integrity!

The United Nations started the tradition of International Day Of Peace in 1981.
But why in 2009 can't we change the tradition to celebrate
International Weekend Of Peace - dare I say - International Week Of Peace.
What is the worst that can happen - less days for war?

I wrote this below post earlier at the Facebook group
MESSAGES FOR PEACE

It focuses on the positive effect of
International Day Of Peace 2008.
What possibilities could lie ahead if there was
International Weekend Or Week Of Peace 2009!

The entire UN campaign for International Peace Day was considered a success. Tens of thousands of soldiers in Afghanistan put down their arms. There was some violence but this was the largest peace effort yet for International Day Of Peace in Afghanistan. We must remember the significance of this effort since this has been the most violent year in Afghanistan since 2001. A US coalition spokesman said that the day gave the Afghan people an opportunity to see what every day would be like with peace. And on Monday, war resumed! Isn't there everything wrong with this scenario? Maybe we should expand next year from International Day Of Peace to an International Week Of Peace accompanied by extra efforts during that time to reach some resolutions.The world has already shown it can do it for a day,
why not two, three,...?

Do You Believe We Should Expand International Day Of Peace?

Views: 13

Attachments:

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile