I have written previously on this topic at
"KIND CLASSES" Facebook group
and website. I was inspired to write about this topic today after seeing an IPEACE friend mention the
International Declaration Of Human Rights.I actually believe that school bullying is a human rights abuse. It isn't noticed in the same way as other human rights abuses such as genocide because the victims are spread worldwide. Students none the less are being targeted and are often dying due to homicide and bullycide. Others are left with wounded spirits. I believe that all human rights abuses really have the same core cause - lack of empathy for others and an inability to accept differences. A group of New Zealand parents approached that country's Human Rights Commisssioner to argue that school violence is a violation of human rights. Elizabeth Bennett, author of "Peer Abuse: A Pyschological Perspective" prefers the term "peer abuse" to school bullying. I see how that term does draw attention to the real nature of school bullying.It is without a doubt abuse and a human rights issue! We hope for kinder classes!

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Ruthie, very often people want things to be swept under the rug, I have even seen where schools value their reputation more than making an honest effort to address the issues at their core.The success of this cause depends on one individual at a time like yourself who wants to make a difference. And there is no doubt that there will eventually be a difference! I have focused alot on Martin Luther King Jr. at "KIND CLASSES" Facebook group. I use one of his quotations in the group introduction.I have a graphic "I HAVE A DREAM" on my Facebook profile and encourage group members to place one on their profiles or share it with friends.Martin Luther King focused on accepting differences. During August we observed the forty fifth anniversary of the I HAVE A DREAM speech - actually on the same day as Barack Obama accepted the nomination by his party. Regardless of anyone's politics, we must admit that we have come far with issues involving race.We may have not yet arrived but we have moved forward!

I have been reading ideas as to why the success and endurance of the I HAVE A DREAM speech. One theory is that Martin Luther King attacked the problem - not the people themselves. I use the same approach with "KIND CLASSES" I fight against the bullying action - not the person inside. I feel this approach will also serve us well in our fight against school bullying.One commentary about
I HAVE A DREAM suggested that Martin Luther King appealed to people's dreams and ideals.
I too have a dream for peace in schools and in society in general - as do you and countless others.
I believe that atttiudes towards bullying will change just as so many attitudes have changed
since Martin Luther King's I HAVE A DREAM speech.

RSS

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022
RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS updated their profile
Feb 2, 2022