I'm new to this website. I was directed here by some friends of mine who, like me, are supporters of The Peace Alliance and its efforts to pass a bill that would create a cabinet-level Department of Peace and non-violence in our federal government.

I'm interested to know how many participants in ipeace are even aware of this effort. ThePeaceAlliance.org has a great website with a copy of the current legislation, FAQs, etc.

Please have a look. This is a long-term proposition that will require grassroots support and lobbying. I encourage everyone involved in peace work to check it out and become involved however works for you!
I would love to hear your feedback!

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Elizabeth - thanks for bringing this subject up! The DOP bill is one of my passions, and how I spend alot of my volunteer time! This is a great place to discuss the nuances of the bill and how a Cabinet level department is necessary in order to truly give the word Peace some 'institutional heft' in Washington - and get funding for valid programs that are currently floundering due to a lack of funding.

I enjoyed filling the role of Utah State Coordinator for the campaign for about 3 years. I am still active in Utah and it's great to hear that you are too! Keep talking about the DOP - it's only a matter of time before it's a reality. In Peace, Julianne Fitzgerald
Hi Julianne,

Nice to meet you in the ether! Our DoP group here in San Diego is ctually having a quarterly "Peacemasters" meeting where a couple of people are going to lay out how a DoP can function within the bureaucratic structure of Washington. They have identified agencies and entities within other departments that could be transferred to a DoP so as not to duplicate functions and to eliminate waste. We're planning on video taping the presentation and hopefully posting to the Peace Alliance website. Don't know how long that will take. I think the elctions have taken away some of our energy this year, but we're excited for 2009 and a new administration!

Shanti

Liz

RSS

Latest Activity

Apolonia liked RADIOAPOLLON1242 AIGOKEROS PANOS's profile
Apr 24
Lucy Williams updated their profile
Jul 5, 2023
Sandra Gutierrez Alvez updated their profile
Oct 1, 2022
DallasBoardley updated their profile
Feb 8, 2022