9 Steps of Decreasing or Ending Violence based on Ghandi's Teachings as interpreted by Dudly Weeks
This is from a book by Coleman MCCarthy called "I'd Rather Teach Peace".
1) Define the Conflict
2) It's not you against me, it's you and me against the problem.
3) List the relationship's shared concerns.
4) When people have fought, don't ask what happened.
5) Active listening is better than passive hearing.
6) Choose a neutral place to resolve the conflict, not the battlefield itself.
7) Start with what's doable.
8) Increase forgiveness skills, decrease vengeance urges.
9) Purify our hearts.
I think most of these steps are easily understood by most people but #9 might need a little explaining. To purify our hearts means to clean up our own life before we tell someone else how to live. I must "walk my talk" and live a peaceful life with my family, community and environment before I can expect someone else to do it.